Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A Plea to the Cocksucking Browser Makers

This is a plea to the programmers of the two major web browsers. I'm talking about Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. I have been designing web applications for over 10 years now, and just when I thought the hellscape of browser layout inconsistency was finally disappearing from an otherwise fun occupation, CSS layout strikes and we are all fucking fucked again. I fucking despise you people who come up with this buggy shit! But I digress. This is, after all, a plea, which I can hardly expect a friendly target audience to smile upon if I simply insult the cockuckers right off the bat. My apologies. My plea is a simple one. A humble one, I think, given the thousands and thousands and thousands of hours of life-sucking browser debugging I've done this decade, simply to get some kind of box to fit its contents, or to get a box to extend arbitrarily to any side of the browser window, especially the bottom. I simply can not fucking believe that 15 years into browser development, we still have no good way to scale a box for these simple and universally understood purposes. We KNOW what front-end designers need in a layout engine. Either the standards committees at the WC3, or the standards interpreters who program the browsers themselves, need to deal with this problem tout de suite. If they don't, CSS is fucked for another 5-10 years and I'm leading the fucking revolt against it. It will be relegated to setting font sizes and a handful of other things it doesn't end up making 10 times more complicated and buggy than they should be. If CSS standards don't allow for someone to create a box that knows what size it needs to be to hold its contents, then browser programmers need to start breaking the living shit out of those standards because they are crap. Bullshit is the only word I can find for it. Fucking bullshit is what the current state of CSS is, and after this project is done, I'm sending it away to play by itself and reflect on what an evil, evil, evil little motherfucker it is because it's parents didn't raise it right and now it's rotting in browser prison while tables are out on probation. Fuck csszengarden.com (they seem like nice folks, but fuck 'em anyway) and all the other standards-hugging, beta-tester wannabes out there who thrill when they finally get a 3-column layout to work in CSS after 3 months of research. Fucking pathetic. I'm trying to get shit done and I want a browser standard that can lay out a page without the combined efforts of 10,000 pseudo-programmers exchanging messages on one of the 50,000 CSS help forums. Is that so fucking selfish of me? I welcome your comments.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, Man, I'm LOVIN'it!
I think I'll go back to TABLES, after all
You really have dampened my enthusiasm for CSS

9:28 PM  
Blogger minorgod said...

Thanks for your comment jamesbird! I like your suggestion for a new meaning for CSS. I might have to make that into a t-shirt.

5:33 PM  
Blogger minorgod said...

Just for you, I've set up a store at Cafe Press and made my first two t-shirt designs. Just go to http://www.cafepress.com/electrongun. I've been wanting to do some Cafe Press shirts for a long time, so thanks for motivating me. I will be posting new designs as I think of more funny things to say. If you want a particular color, just let me know and I'll set up a different one. I'm pretty limited with the free store, but if I actually start selling things, I'll upgrade and put some actual effort into it.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home