Monday, October 22, 2007

Fucking cell phones!

So, I've forsaken the big cell phone providers for a couple of years now in favor of a Virgin Wireless pay-as-you go plan. I'm just against all these shit contracts on principle, and rarely use a cell phone because quite frankly they ALL suck beyond my ability to come up with nasty superlatives. There is no such thing as a good cell phone, regardless of how many features they cram into one because the underlying functionality of cell phones is still total shit no matter where you live. Nobody likes talking on a cell phone. Nobody. Not even the dipshits that were dumb enough to buy a 1st generation iPhone. But I digress.

The only thing I'm here to complain about today is the fact that I can't disable the fucking voicemail on my Virgin Wireless account. I've got a great VOIP line from Vonage that I'm quite happy with, and they have this great "Simultaneous Ring" feature, but it won't work with my Virgin Wireless service. Why? Because when I turn off my cell phone, all calls are picked up by Virgin Wireless and sent directly to voicemail. You cannot disable this. You can call Virgin and have them turn off your voicemail, but then all calls are still picked up by a recording that tells callers there is no mailbox for that number. Is it really too much to ask that when I turn my cell phone off it just do NOTHING!? Can I just have a fucking device that you can actually turn off with the expectation that it is really the fuck OFF! Jesus fucking ass-christ. I just emailed Virgin about this since I refuse to listen to their insulting fucking "urban" automated call center operator. I don't really feel like calling an automated call center to have some bullshit hip-hop-esque slang thrown at me on top of having to listen to 15 options I don't give a fuck about. So I emailed them and hopefully I will one day be able to turn off my cell phone and expect that all callers won't automatically be transferred to my voicemail. Strike one against Virgin. Not bad for 2 years of service. I still love my Nokia Shorty too, but had to switch to a "Super Slice" because it was the only model of Virgin phone that could use a bluetooth headset, and since I just paid waaaaaay too much for my "Jawbone" headset for use with Skype, I figure I better be able to use it with my cell phone too. Of course the "Super Slice" is a piece of shit compared to the Shorty...the battery life is pathetic and it's just a cheap piece of easily breakable crap, but at least it had bluetooth. I'm sure I'll be switching back to my Shorty when it breaks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Salles said...

Hi
Sorry, but my comment is not about your post. Congratulations for your article "Custom cell renderer flickering on redraw". I'm interested in actionscript, so,
I would like to contact you by email. Is it possible?
Thanks.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home