Friday, February 04, 2005

Cheney Staves off Heart Attack During State of the Union Address

Am I the only one that noticed Dick Cheney's heart attempting a vote of no confidence during the State of the Union address Wednesday? I was watching ABC's coverage, and it was right at the part where Bush starts talking about how Condolizza Rice will be visiting Israel and the West Bank, and they cut to Condi, looking all smug and racially conflicted, and then they cut back to Bush just in time to see Cheney, behind him, suddenly cough and then turn about 5 shades of red. For a second, it looked like there was some kind of liberal agenda lodged in his ass and he was trying in vain to force it out. Then, in an attempt to look inconspicuous with the entire world watching him, he lurched in his seat, fumbled in his pants pocket, then pulled out what I can only assume was a nitroglycerin tablet, and popped one in his mouth. If anyone has this on their TiVO, please verify this for yourself because it looks to me like Dick Cheney had a minor heart attack and none of the media seem to have picked up on it. I thought for sure the bloggers would have caught this before Bush had even finished his 30th "freedom". So now I'm forced to break the story myself. Hopefully others will verify this independently.

4 Comments:

Blogger weasel said...

Dammit, who's puff? I had one comment left by the same person on my blog. Who knows of this place Mr. Gunner? I'm sure it is someone I know...

7:50 PM  
Blogger weasel said...

CSpan.org has the SOTU streaming (real format) but they don't do any cut aways, so you don't get to see anything but Dick's arm and leg. I did notice that the part you refer to happens right after about 5 rounds of dumb elephants clapping, so maybe the veep wore hisself out with all that standing up and sitting down. Fast forward to around 40 minutes in and you'll be near the I think part yer talking about.

I'll post again if i can find a stream that is doing cut aways. What network were you watching anyhow?

8:02 PM  
Blogger weasel said...

Doh, my link above is broken, and blogger won't let me embed an rtsp link, so go here...
rtsp://video.c-span.org/archive/sou/sou020205_bush.rm

Fast forward to 40:40 you'll see Dick cough and after 20 seconds or so, you can see him lifting something up to where you'd guess his head was...

8:10 PM  
Blogger weasel said...

Ok, last one, I promise (because I've finally gotten the link right)

rtsp://video.c-span.org/archive/sou/sou020205_bush.rm?mode=compact&start=:41:32

takes you to the second before you see Cheney's arm goes to his mouth to cover the cough. Even though it is out of frame, you can tell his right arm is fumbling around in the vicinity of his pocket and then you'll see the left hand take something from the right and lift it to his mouth (also out of shot.) Shortly after, there is another round of applause. Unfortunately you do not get to see Cheney until everyone is sitting back down, but it looks like he did get to his feet. Take it for what you will...

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home